Sunday, January 4, 2015

Chapter 3

My biggest takeaway.......the examples at the end of the chapter that are considered extremes that will not work:

  • Focusing only on the basics (drill and kill).
  • Maintaining order through a show of force.
  • Eliminating or reducing time for arts, sports, and physical education.
  • Increasing and intensifying classroom discipline.
  • Decreasing interaction among students.
  • Installing metal detectors.
  • Delivering more heavy-handed top-down lectures.
     It's really easy to get caught up in the mind-set that we need to do "whatever it takes" to help our students reach a certain level of proficiency in our subject matter.  However, we need to make sure that we check how we are trying to help our students reach that level of proficiency.  Are we using one of the extremes above and if so is it actually working against us, instead of helping us reach our students.

     I know personally when I get overwhelmed and frustrated, it's easy for me to get focused on pushing the basics and not always disciplining my students in the most productive way.  I need to remember to periodically check the way that I'm teaching against this list.  Plus, it's important to not use these extremes with any of our students..... not just the ones that are living in poverty.  

     I have to admit that the example that deals with not eliminating or reducing time for the arts, sports, and physical education hits home with me the most.  Over the years, I've had students not able to come to my classes at various age levels because they were struggling in other subjects.  I can understand the importance of these students needing extra help in certain situations, of course, but at times it can be used excessively.  I may be one of the few classes that this student feels successful in and if it that is taken away ..........is it really helping the student overall?  

     I'm not a music teacher that believes what I teach is the most important subject in my student's education.....not in the least, but I don't think it's a positive move when taking my class away is used as a form of punishment.



     

1 comment:

  1. I agree adding more drill and prep for the areas we are low in are not the answer. It is a bit scary when you hear of districts eliminating the arts, and reducing recess to focus on the test.

    ReplyDelete